Tuesday, May 15, 2012

We arrived in Kampala around 7:30 am today, Tuesday, May 15. How time flies... literally. The two flights were great. Lots of leg room, good food and hospitality. British Airways all the way. We flew over Africa in the early dawn and the horizon was a deep orange and pink. I looked down and thought we were over the water because I couldn't see anything. But that didn't make sense. As the plane flew lower I realized that I couldn't see any lights or any evidence of cities. That's why I thought it was the ocean! We arrived in Kampala Airport and got through immigration quickly. A crazy ride from Entebbe to Kampala was next. There are two prominent colors in Uganda, a very lush green and a deep red earth. And the road from the airport is often chaotic. Cars, bikes, motorbikes, and people come at you from every possible angle. The British driving rule is here but that doesn't mean that everybody necessarily stays on the left. As a matter of fact it's seems that staying on one side of the road is optional. We were pulled over by a Ugandan policman and our driver (and Annie I found out later) was nervous. It seems that the policeman had to get to work in Kampala and the easiest way to get there was to stop a car with two white women in it and ask for a lift. It was a request I guess you just don't say no to. We arrived at our hotel and got to the room and noticed that we had a perfect view of the Gaddafi Mosque. The hotel is pretty basic. The water barely comes out of the faucet, there's only one mosquito net, but the people working here are really friendly. And finally, we walked around the neighborhood looking for a cell phone and some batteries and Kampala is crazy. Crossing the street takes a tremendous amount of courage. The smells are different here. Lots of fumes from the cars mixed in with smells I don't recognize. Enough for now. I'm tired and I think my thoughts might be better put together after a nap!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear you made it safely. Hold hands when you cross the street! Looking forward to reading your next entry...thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete