Friday, May 25, 2012

Saturday, May 26, 9:15 am

There was a huge rainstorm last night with lots of dramatic lightening and buckets of rain. We were at Laroo to cook our second meal of pasta and marinara sauce. Boy, do they like it! So does little Daisy's family. We brought a pot of it to them again. I feel like a corrupting influence, however, since their diet is much less processed. Daisy wanted us to get supper ready earlier than ususal and I think that's because she knew the storm was coming and didn't want us stranded. However, as usual, Santo was at the office and kept saying he would be home directly and didn't show up until about 8:15 when the storm was in full force. Ten of us had to eat in silence since no one could be heard above the rain on the roof. Santo was supposed to leave for a big meeting in Kitgum where Musevini was also attending but eventually decided not to go until this morning at 4:00 am. He had one of the chiefs from Kitgum with him and his assistant and so the chief was going to spend the night at Laroo and Robin, the driver, drove Annie, the assistant and me back to town. I'm reading a book right now that is fascinating since it is about the struggles in Northern Uganda but goes into great detail about its history and present day politics. Since politics here is so very local, positions and people the book mentions are people I have met or heard of since I have arrived. If I had read this book before I came, I doubt all of it would have meant so much since I would have forgotten the particulars of what I had read. Reading and meeting at the same time is amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment